Thursday, June 26, 2008

A smile through the grimaced night

6-22-08 – Esmeraldas, Ecuador

She is eleven and beautiful – not on the outside, but in her spirit. On the outside she’s a wreck: burned, scarred, and weak from a car accident three months ago; she has a colostomy bag hanging out of her abdomen - a portal to her guts, a container for her fluids. Something’s not right – obviously, because her insides are on the outside – but more obviously because she’s spiking a fever of 104, shaking, and not looking good. But she’s a fighter and a dancer, and she puts on her best smile, a grimace, when I ask her about regatone music. It’s her favorite. We made a deal that if she gets better, she has to teach me some moves so that we can dance together. I didn’t contribute directly to her health care, but I made her smile and her family laugh, and it helped us all get through the night.

Señor de los cielos,
Yo soy tu niña, la niña de tus ojos
Entonces tenga amor - tenga amor hacia a mi

Father of the skies,
I am your daughter, the daughter of your eyes
So have love - have love for me

No comments: