Saturday, August 16, 2008

In gratitude

This has been a long, fantastic summer of learning, which would not have been possible without the support of many people who deserve to be recognized. So with gratitude, I would like to thank the Freeman family for financially supporting this endeavor, Robin Paetzold of the University of Iowa College of Medicine's Global Programs office for her permitting me to take this leap, to my family and friends for checking in on my sanity from time to time, to doctors Christian Vargas and Nicasio Safadi for their patience and guidance both in and outside those hospital walls, to the Ecuadorian interns rotating through Delfina Torres who housed, fed and befriended me during these latter months, and lastly to the patients, whose names I have changed, and their families who have generously allowed their stories and photos to be shared.

No comments: