Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First email home

Hey Family-

I finally made it to Quito last night. The flights were not too bad. Dan Rather from CBS was on my last flight from Miami to Quito. Toward the end of the flight the attendants asked for a doctor - nobody volunteered, so after a short while I went back to see what was up... but they needed someone with a medical license, so I went back to my seat. When we landed, everyone remained seated so the paramedics could board the plane and attend to the patient. It was a stressful way to begin the trip - especially since it was already dark out and I wasn´t exactly sure who was picking me up, where I´d be sleeping, etc. But it all went without a hitch - I got to my host mother´s house in good shape, and the driver who took me there was friendly. My host mother cooked some food last night - we talked a little about topics beyond what I thought I was capable of commenting on (for instance, the relative strength of the dollar in the global economy... how in the world should that have been my first conversation?). This morning she rode the city bus with me to school - but I´m on my own for getting back. Thus far I really like the school - the teachers are friendly, as are the others who work here. Already I´ve made plans for the weeked for a two or three day hike up in the mountains.

Quito feels like a dangerous place and I wish I had not brought the camera with me. Hopefully, though, with good luck and God´s grace I´ll make it through these months without event. Anyway... I just wanted to write in and say I´m here safe and sound. Last night when I went to bed in a strange room in a strange city with strange noises, I wrapped myself tightly in the covers (mostly because it is freezing in the mountains) and thought of what of what you all were up to. I´m so happy for all of you and all the directions you are going. Congratulations, Lizz, on graduating from Midd in just a few days.

This afternoon I´m going to try to get a SIM card for my phone - will let you know when I have that number for you to call.

Until later...
Love,
Ben

No comments: